Kite Surfing Techniques - Launching the Kite
In this section, we will launch the Kite Surfing Kite with assistance. First, instruct your assistant, find the right angle to launch, check, and give the OK sign.
Turn the kite around by yourself. The reason for this is two-fold. First of all, the wind can blow the kite lines onto your kite, so pay attention to the lines and make sure that they are in the original position when the kite was placed on the beach.
Make sure that your assistant knows that he must only let go after you give him the OK sign and that you are referring to the thumbs up sign and nothing else.
Positioning the kite
In order to achieve a smooth launch, position the kite in the correct angle with the wind.
The right position of the kite to perform a launch is on either side of the Wind Window in the neutral zone. The kite has to be near the edge of the Wind Window where it will be most stable.
Together with your assistant, you will walk into this position. Tense the lines at 90 degree angles to the wind.
If the kite is still flapping in the wind, there is no wind blowing into the Kite Surfing Kite and filling it with air.
At this point, the kite has been moved too much upwind and is outside the Wind Window. It will have no stability whatsoever in this position.
Walk upwind until the wind fills the kite and it stops flapping. However, if you go too far upwind, the wind will blow too much into the kite. You will feel that the kite is starting to generate a lot of pull. Because of the way the kite is designed, it will tend to fly to the edge of the Wind Window to release its power. Your assistant will have to push back the kite to keep it in place.
The kite is moved into the power zone. The kite has to be moved back into the neutral zone before a launch can be performed.
Walk back downwind to a position that the kite is stable and almost hovers above the ground by itself. You are now in the right position to launch the kite.
Make a last check before giving the OK sign. Make sure that the lines are not twisted. Check your Kite Surfing Safety Release Systems.
Different kite brands have different safety systems. It is very important that you know how to use them and that you tried them out a couple of times. These systems can save your life in case something goes wrong.
When unsure about the wind strength, de-power by pulling your de-power strap.
Giving the OK sign
When you have positioned yourself and the Kite Surfing Kite correctly and performed the final checkup, you can give the OK sign to your assistant. To avoid confusion, only use the thumbs up sign. If the kite is positioned correctly, it will stay in the same place when your assistant lets it go. Now, slowly pilot the kite to the top. Piloting slowly will prevent the kite from going through the Power Zone and generate too much pull. If the kite stays near the edge of the Wind Window, it will generate too much traction in the neutral zone.
In very low wind conditions or if the wind is unstable, donít fly the kite all the way to the top, but stop halfway and walk directly to the water.
Tips & Tricks
- Never let go of a kite that is still flapping in the wind. It will fly backwards and it can suddenly pull hard.
- The assistant must hold on to the kite if it starts flying backwards when he lets it go.
- If the kite is positioned too far downwind, it will launch with power. Again, hold the kite until it is stable.
- Do not pilot the kite too fast overhead or it will move through the Power Zone and generate a lot of pull. You could be knocked off your feet and lose control over the kite.
- When unsure about the kite size, let somebody hold you while launching. However, a better option is to use a smaller kite.
- Do not line up the back of your hands with the trailing edge. If you hold the control bar parallel to the kite, you can see that the bar is held the wrong way around. The wind should not be blowing against your fingertips. Instead, it should be blowing against the back of your hands.
- Do not attach your leash line before launching. Should the kite generate too much pull, the leash line will be stretched, waiting to be released as a catapult.
- To avoid confusion, only use the thumbs up sign.
- Instruct your assistant very well.
When launching your Kite Surfing Kite, safety should be prioritized. Adhere to the guidelines when launching for your safety and other water usersí welfare.
These are all the Kite Surfing Lessons covered in this section:|